We’ve busted some of the most common myths about running Jump Rope for Heart at your school. Read the below to find out how easy it is for you to turn your student in to Heart Heroes this year!
1. Our school calendar is too full to run Jump Rope for Heart this year
Jump Rope for Heart is flexible! It can fit anywhere into your school’s event calendar. Pick a term, narrow down the dates and get your students (our Heart Heroes!) skipping on a schedule that suits you. And when it comes to your students actually fitting the skipping in to their day, kids can skip and log their minutes anytime and anywhere!
Need some extra help to stay organised this term? Well we’ve whipped up a free, downloadable classroom planner just for you. Customisable by term, this planner can help you keep your classroom activities on track.
2. I’m not sure what all the different benefits are to running Jump Rope for Heart at my school
Jump Rope for Heart is so much more than skipping and fundraising!
Jump Rope for Heart gets kids moving! Did you know three out of four primary school students don’t meet Australian Physical Activity Guidelines? Jump Rope for Heart helps them achieve the recommended 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day. It also helps gets kids excited about exercise, healthy eating and heart health.
Jump Rope for Heart helps to save lives! Over the last 40 years our Heart Heroes have skipped their way to over $111 million in donations. These funds help support life-saving research that has the power to save Aussie hearts.
Finally, skipping might be an outdoor activity but Jump Rope for Heart happens inside the classroom too! Registered schools get access to 24 Cool Australia lesson plans that meet Australian curriculum guidelines. Helping you and your colleagues in the classroom!
3. I’ve never run Jump Rope for Heart before and I’m nervous about what is involved
If this is the first time you are running Jump Rope for Heart at your school here's an overview of what’s actually involved for you.
1. Register your school online
Sign up and register your school at jumprope.org.au and nominate the dates you intend to run the program.
2. Receive your Jump Rope for Heart resource kit
Your ‘Skipping and Fundraising Kit’ will arrive at your school with everything you need to launch and run the program. This includes ropes, posters, a letter for parents and heaps of information for you.
3. Launch Jump Rope for Heart at school
Hold a school-wide assembly to announce the program to students. We have videos, newsletter templates and other resources to help. Update parents and encourage them to register their child online and set up an online fundraising page.
4. Encourage your students and parents to register
Parents and guardians register their child using our secure and safe online portal. Registration is easy and takes just a few simple steps.
5. Start skipping and raising funds
Encourage students to practise skipping whenever and wherever they can. Challenge them to learn tricks and raise funds on their online pages.
6. Hold your Jump Off Day
This is the finale of your program, where students show off their skipping skills. Wrap up and close the program online, and we'll send you the student Thank You prizes and certificates.
Watch Trinity Grammar School tackle their Jump Off Day here.
4. I am too busy and just don’t have the time to run the Jump Rope for Heart program at our school
Jump Rope for Heart is easy to run! Our 5-Week Program will get your school’s Heart Heroes up and skipping in no time. The Program includes:
- easy-to-run fundraising and skipping challenges
- just one action and activity each week
- access to the online teacher portal to manage your school’s fundraising
- ready-made resources to help you run a successful program.
If you need extra help you can always reach out to one of our Field Officers to help you create the perfect event for your school.
5. I don’t think my school leadership will approve us to run Jump Rope for Heart
Jump Rope for Heart isn’t just great for you and your students, it also builds school community. You set a fundraising and skipping goal for your school and get your Heart Heroes working towards it together. Then you can celebrate at the end with your own Jump Off Day where students can show off their new skipping skills and celebrate their amazing fundraising achievements together.
Download the Jump Rope for Heart flyer that explains all the details of why running Jump Rope for Heart at your school is a good thing for your whole school community.
6. It’s too hard for me to engage with parents when running Jump Rope for Heart
Once parents have registered their child we will help out to by contacting them to encourage them to share the link to their online fundraising page via e-mail and through social media channels with friends, family and work colleagues.
7. We already run different fundraising activities at our school so we don’t need to run Jump Rope for Heart
8. We can’t afford to purchase extra equipment to run Jump Rope for Heart at our school
9. I’m not the PE teacher at my school so I don’t think I can run Jump Rope for Heart
10. I’m worried I won’t be able to make Jump Rope for Heart a success at my school